The Kentucky-Bred Champions Awards Luncheon
Postponed Due to National Emergency
Kentucky Thoroughbred Owners & Breeders’ (KTOB) Announces
2019 Kentucky-Bred Champions, Merit Award Winners and KTDF Leaders
Lexington, KY – Due to concern and caution in containing the spread of COVID-19, the Kentucky Thoroughbred Owners & Breeders’ annual Kentucky-Bred Champions Awards Luncheon scheduled to be held on Wednesday, April 8th at Keeneland will be postponed.
While we are disappointed to postpone the event honoring our 2019 award winners, the Awards Luncheon will be held in Fall 2020.
2019 KTOB Broodmare of the Year and owner and 2019 Kentucky-Bred Champions and their breeders:
- Broodmare of the Year: BEYOND THE WAVES (Owner: George Strawbridge Jr.)
- Horse of the Year, Male Turf: BRICKS AND MORTAR (George Strawbridge Jr.)
- Two-Year-Old Male: STORM THE COURT (Stepping Stone Farm)
- Two-Year-Old Filly: BRITISH IDIOM (Hargus Sexton, Sandra Sexton & Silver Fern Farm, LLC)
- Three-Year-Old Male: MAXIMUM SECURITY (Gary & Mary West Stables Inc.)
- Three-Year-Old Filly, Female Sprinter: COVFEFE (Alexander – Groves Thoroughbreds)
- Older Dirt Male: VINO ROSSO (John D. Gunther)
- Older Dirt Female: MIDNIGHT BISOU (Woodford Thoroughbreds, LLC)
- Female Turf: GOT STORMY (Mt. Joy Stables, Pope McLean, Marc McLean & Pope McLean Jr.)
- Male Sprinter: MITOLE (Edward A. Cox Jr.)
- Racing Abroad: SISKIN (Juddmonte Farms Inc)
Four merit awards will be presented to individuals for their contributions to the Kentucky Thoroughbred Industry.
2019 Merit awards will be presented at the KTOB Luncheon:
- P.A.B. Widener Trophy for KTOB Breeder of the Year: CALUMET FARM
- Hardboot Breeders’ Award pays tribute to distinctive but unsung breeders that help make up the backbone of our industry: ALFRED H. NUCKOLS, JR.
- Charles W. Engelhard Award acknowledges a member of the media for outstanding coverage of the Thoroughbred industry: NATALIE VOSS
- William T. Young Humanitarian Award distinguishes a person or organization in the thoroughbred industry “who recognizes and promotes the human endeavor:”
EDWARD P. EVANS FOUNDATION
Also to receive awards are the top Kentucky Thoroughbred Development Fund (KTDF) money earners in 2019 in five separate categories.
2019 Kentucky Thoroughbred Development Fund (KTDF) Leaders:
- KTDF Sire of the Year: INTO MISCHIEF (Spendthrift Farm)
- KTDF Earner of the Year: ZULU ALPHA (Michael Hui)
- KTDF Owner of the Year: G. WATTS HUMPHREY, JR.
- KTDF Trainer of the Year: STEVEN ASMUSSEN
- KTDF Breeder of the Year: CALUMET FARM
Recipients of the 2019 KTOB Kentucky-Bred Champion awards were voted on by the full membership of KTA/KTOB while the KTDF category leaders were tabulated using purse money won at KY racetracks in 2019. KTOB merit award recipients were voted on by the KTA/KTOB Board of Directors.
In existence since 1967 and 1983, respectively, the KTOB and KTA direct their efforts toward
promoting and protecting the Thoroughbred industry by maintaining the highest levels of
racing, breeding and training standards in the Commonwealth.
Contact: Jenny McGaughey
Telephone: (859) 361-6002